Nobody does the optional, so do the optional.
In this episode of Competencies without a Classroom podcast, we interview Navid Nathoo, an entrepreneur. Listen and learn:
- What separates two identical resumes when Navid is hiring at his company
- What Navid would choose to write on a billboard, if he could write any one thing
- What's the one competency that, if Navid were the superintendent of a school board, every student would have to showcase evidence of in their digital portfolio
Reflection Prompts for Your Students
Use the prompts below to have your students reflect on what they heard in the episode and consider how Navid's advice can be applied to them.
- Navid believes that everything we do is about people, regardless of the industry we find ourselves in later on. Do you agree with this? Why or why not? What can you do now to help develop your people skills (communication, collaboration, etc.)?
- Why is mindset important when it comes to success? Think about a time when you had to reframe a situation and persevere. What did you do to change your mindset and what did this experience teach you?
- Navid mentions that TKS works to help students develop real-world skills needed in today's rapidly changing society. What skills do you think are important when entering the workforce today? Why?
- Consider what Navid says about looking at character and network when hiring. Why are these two things so important? How could you highlight these when applying for a job?
- Think of a time when you have felt insecure. What caused this feeling and were you able to overcome it? What are some strategies you could use to change your mindset when confronted with insecurities in the future?
Bite-Sized Video Clips
If you're running short on time, or just want to play a snippet for your class or colleagues, the bite-sized videos below are perfect for sharing.
- Anxious vs. Excited (2:28)
- Do the Optional (2:30)
- Foundations (1:25)
- Insecurity (1:36)
- Science Mindset (1:16)
- 2 Resumes (2:25)
- What Have You Built? (1:02)
Learn More About Navid
Other Resources Shared in This Episode
- The Knowledge Project by Shane Parrish - Episode - Naval Ravikant: The Angel Philosopher