What gets you excited in the morning?
Think about the one thing you love to learn about or do, in or out of the classroom. If nothing in particular comes to mind, that's okay! It will become clear with time and experience.
This weeks guest teaches us that no matter what path you find yourself on, there is always a way take what you're doing and what you care about, and turn it into an opportunity to drive your purpose further.
Deciding what path to follow after high school can often feel like this massive cliff you have to jump off of. You may be thinking that once you pick, there's no going back. But the reality is, that couldn't be further from the truth.
Meet AJ Tibando - if you asked 16 year old AJ where she would be years down the line, she would have had no idea she would be running her own organization.
Now, she is the voice behind Pallete inc - helping people who want to switch career paths get the skills they need to land that new job. She’s caring, compassionate and best of all she is incredibly passionate about taking care of people and the world around us.
Whatever you're passionate about, whether it be communication, technology or politics, there are hundreds of jobs in any space that will likely be a good fit for you depending on what you're interested in and want to be doing.
The world is always changing, and today’s high schooler students are more prepared than any generation prior to navigating these changes and talk themselves through times of uncertainty. This willingness to figure it out and focus on what you can control is sure to get you anywhere you want to be in life.
In this episode we chat about topics including:
- How you can turn any situation into a way to drive change
- Finding your purpose and turning any job into an opportunity to drive it further
- Navigating and being comfortable with change
- How you can apply your skill sets and passions to merely any industry
- The importance of focusing of being empathetic and taking care of each other
Remember that just because your first job is not your dream job, does not mean it can't become a dream job, or has to be the be all and end all.
It’s important to look at the position you're in and play the long game, realizing that it is merely a stepping stone driving you towards making an impact through your passions and interests.
What is one change that you’ve experienced recently IN or OUT of the classroom and how did you find a way to focus on what you can control to navigate this change? Let us know on Twitter using the hashtag #CompetenciesPodcast
- Learn more about how Palette Skills is training Canadians for new careers
- Follow Palette Skills on Twitter
- Connect with AJ on Linkedin
- Follow AJ on Twitter
- Listen to Episode one of CWAC to learn more about focusing on purpose over passion
- Read Sapiens to discover why we are the way we ar
- Read Winners Take all to learn more about changing the world through social justic
- Listen to Ologies